It took us awhile to come to this decision. I was originally completely against it, then I decided I would wait and see what the ultrasound said, then I decided yes, and today was a no. I asked the doctor what percentage of abnormalities from Trisomy 13 and 21 could be seen on the ultrasound and she said about 80-90%could be detected. Those are the two I was concerned about – those of fatal nature. I know there are other chromosomal issues that could be out there, but that is fine – it’s the fatal ones I personally needed to be most prepared for. So, after discussion with John and a short potty break we decided that we would not risk the chance of a miscarriage in having the procedure.
It was the bathroom break that made my decision. I took a long look at myself in the mirror and thought about the fact that we have SOOO many family, friends, strangers, SOOO many people praying for us and this baby that wouldn’t it be testing my faith to have this done?Wouldn’t it be saying that I don’t believe that God has His hand on this child making sure that we are having a healthy baby? It may seem a little strange to think like that, but that’s what made my final decision. I felt that by having the procedure would be me not believing in God’s power. I know that the power of prayer is going to keep this baby alive and healthy. I cannot express my gratitude enough to each of you for keeping our family in your prayers.
Oh, and the news some of you are probably dying to know – it’s a GIRL 🙂 She was weighing in at 9 ounces. No names yet, and we probably will not have one until its time to sign the birth certificate. Plus, its more fun to keep everyone in suspense!!